Week #1: Kickoff
Theme: Orientation to the Comfortable Cafeteria program. Talk about how to create a comfortable cafeteria by emphasizing 4 components: enjoyment of a meal, enjoyable social interaction, being responsible and respectful, and by following directions.
- Cafeteria supervisors learn strategies for how to create a comfortable cafeteria, promote positive behavior and respond to challenges.
- Students are oriented to the Comfortable Cafeteria program and learn about the 4 components as outlined on the Cafeteria Poster – Time to enjoy a meal, socialize with friends, be respectful/responsible, and follow directions.
Comfortable Cafeteria Week #1 Lesson Plan (download handout)
Supporting materials (downloadable)
Every Moment Counts materials:
- Comfortable Cafeteria Poster (copy, laminate and hang up)
- Comfortable Cafeteria Bookmark (copy double-sided and cut into 4 bookmarks)
- Comfortable Cafeteria Coloring Sheet
- Simple Strategies for Making the Cafeteria Comfortable (give to cafeteria supervisors)
- Sound Cube – blank cube template from http://printables.atozteacherstuff.com/download/cube_outline.pdf
- Picture Social Story of Cafeteria Expectations
Materials from other sources/authors:
- 20 Tried and True Classroom Strategies – retrieved from http://www.education.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/12685/TriedTrueClassroomStrategies.pdf
- Positive Interventions and Effective Strategies for Cafeteria Staff – retrieved from www.behaviordoctor.org
- Incredible 5-Point Scale (Buron & Curtis, 2003) Fact Sheet – retrieved from http://autism.pbisillinois.org/pdfs/facts_sheets/Incredible%205%20Point%20Scale%20Fact%20Sheet%20rev.pdf