Week #4: Including Others
Theme: Including others. It's time to toss up your table and 'Mix it up'. Toss up your lunch table to include others and celebrate differences. Continue to learn about and practice conversation skills with someone new. Make a new friend in the cafeteria.
- Students continue learn about how to have a positive mealtime conversation and have an opportunity to practice these skills with someone new. Students are randomly assigned to different tables.
- Cafeteria Supervisors continue to learn about how to model and teach mealtime conversation skills.
Make: Conversation Cube - print out on cardstock or regular paper; form into cube; make 1 per table.
Comfortable Cafeteria Week #4 Lesson Plan (download handout)
Handouts for Supervisors & Teachers:
- Coaching Conversation Tips for Supervisors (review from last week) Handout for Students:
- Conversation Starters for Students (review from last week)
- Friendship Golden Rules
Other reference materials on respecting differences:
- Encourage Supervisors and Teachers to refer to "Respecting Differences: Everyday Ways to Teach Children About Respect" by E. Erwin & L Sookak, PBS Parents website. Link: http://www.pbs.org/parents/inclusivecommunities/differences.html